Go Back   General Nonsense Forums > General > Cars & Bikes

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #76
yogurt_21

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,298 Posts
Dislikes: 84
Disliked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
They aren't expensive if you have time to look. If you are in need right now, then yeah, a good deal is hard to come by.

I got my 97 Civic for $2500 3 years ago with 110k on the clock. Put 70k on it before the accident with nothing other than standard maintenance needed.

But they ARE more reliable than the American and German cars in the same price range, that's why they do carry the premium.
that means pre cash for clunkers. seriously check now, used car prices have gone through the roof since that program began smashing up half of the used market. Then people had the new cars repo'd (I mean really not many people drive old clunkers if they can actually afford a new one, the discount wasn't near enough to bridge the cost gap) so then they went and bought whatever used cars were left to be able to get to work. Now used inventory is wayyy down from 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Flush and fill tranny, change front and rear diff oil, change xfer case oil.

I have had a transfer cae go out on my company car (explorer) and they had to reseal the front and rear diff, and after 70K miles the transmission fluid starts to go to shit causing poor shifting and later transmission failure.
Sounds like a plan, I don't want any tranny issues.
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
yogurt_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #77
cdawall

Dislikes: 7
Disliked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Never flush a tranny. That is the worst advice. Drain and change sure but flushing is fucking stupid.
cdawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #78
1Kurgan1

Thanked 6,802 Times in 1,684 Posts
Dislikes: 62
Disliked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
They aren't expensive if you have time to look. If you are in need right now, then yeah, a good deal is hard to come by.

I got my 97 Civic for $2500 3 years ago with 110k on the clock. Put 70k on it before the accident with nothing other than standard maintenance needed.

But they ARE more reliable than the American and German cars in the same price range, that's why they do carry the premium.
That is expensive, I remember seeing a 2001 Lumina about 2 years back with 105k on CL for $1200. Paying over 2k for a most basic of the basic cars thats over 10 years old is just too much in my opinion. I'd rather go with a Cavalier or Cobalt 5 speed of the same year, know numerous of these that have gone for very high miles, I wouldn't say a Honda is beyond those in terms of reliability.
1Kurgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #79
Wile E

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,898 Posts
Dislikes: 13
Disliked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kurgan1 View Post
That is expensive, I remember seeing a 2001 Lumina about 2 years back with 105k on CL for $1200. Paying over 2k for a most basic of the basic cars thats over 10 years old is just too much in my opinion. I'd rather go with a Cavalier or Cobalt 5 speed of the same year, know numerous of these that have gone for very high miles, I wouldn't say a Honda is beyond those in terms of reliability.
And you would be wrong. The Honda is indeed more reliable. Again, it's the entire reason they do carry the premium. Granted, that premium is far too high in many cases, but it is there for a reason.
Wile E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #80
cdawall

Dislikes: 7
Disliked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
And you would be wrong. The Honda is indeed more reliable. Again, it's the entire reason they do carry the premium. Granted, that premium is far too high in many cases, but it is there for a reason.
I don't see anything on that honda being more reliable the a cobolt with a 2.2L and a 5 spd. I would honestly take the cobolt over a civic.

Also when push comes to shove an econobox is and always will be a cheap econobox. They are not designed to last forever and a used car is normally someone dumping a problem.
cdawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #81
Wile E

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,898 Posts
Dislikes: 13
Disliked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
I don't see anything on that honda being more reliable the a cobolt with a 2.2L and a 5 spd. I would honestly take the cobolt over a civic.

Also when push comes to shove an econobox is and always will be a cheap econobox. They are not designed to last forever and a used car is normally someone dumping a problem.
Doesn't matter if you see it or not, it is more reliable. Again, the problem lies in how extreme the price premium is for that moderate increase in reliability.

As for my last post, I forgot to mention that when I bought the Civic, there were no other cars worth buying for $2500 in my area. I'll take a '97 Civic 5 speed over ANY year Lumina any day. It's 6 years newer AND less reliable. GM fwd autos do not get along with my driving style.
Wile E is offline   Reply With Quote