http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/0...junior-seau-e/

RIP
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Cold Storm

Dislikes: 0
Disliked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Cold Storm
My girlfriend told me that this afternoon.. I can't believe it happened like that..
Cold Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
entropy13

Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,012 Posts
Dislikes: 21
Disliked 203 Times in 168 Posts
Junior Seau's death further saddens his 1994 Chargers teammates

Once again the phones started to ring, former San Diego Chargers from the franchise's lone Super Bowl team calling each other and digesting the news that another one of them was gone. With word that Junior Seau died Wednesday, the number of Chargers who played in the Super Bowl on Jan. 29, 1995, and are now dead, is eight.

Eight in 18 years; too many in too little time.

The subject is one I discussed, somewhat uncomfortably, with several of the former Chargers in 2008. This wasn't long after Chris Mims, their gregarious defensive end, was found dead in his Los Angeles apartment. Five had died back then. And that seemed like a lot.

I called a professor of actuarial science at the University of Wisconsin to see if she could put number on five men from a 53-man roster – all in their 20s and 30s – dying in so short a time. She said the odds were less than 1 percent.

In the resulting story that ran in The Washington Post, many former players and coaches talked about emotions that ranged from sadness for former players who were no longer there to a looming sense of unease about the uncontrollable.

"Is this a curse or something?" center Courtney Hall said then. "I just hope I'm not next."

On Wednesday, Hall sounded drained. Hours of phone calls with teammates had tired him. And there lingered that sense of confusion over how so many men who would be in their 40s, who seemed so vibrant, are no longer alive.

"I'm still kind of processing everything right now," Hall said. "I had more to say back [in 2008] than I do now. I really am at a loss for words."

The unsettling thing about the Chargers' deaths is their randomness. Five months after the Super Bowl, running back David Griggs died in a car accident on an off-ramp of the Florida Turnpike that was no more than 10 minutes from where the game had been played at Joe Robbie Stadium. The next year, running back Rodney Culver and his wife died on a ValuJet crash in the Florida Everglades, also not far from Miami. In 1998 linebacker Doug Miller was struck twice by lightning while camping in Colorado. Backup center Curtis Whitley died of a drug overdose in 2008 only months before Mims died from an enlarged heart and heart disease. Linebacker Lew Bush and defensive tackle Shawn Lee had fatal heart attacks last year.

And now Seau. The irony is that as a player he might have been the liveliest of them all – the first one to laugh, the one with the biggest smile, the biggest star – and to hear reports he had killed himself? It didn't make sense.

Full article here.
-------
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure."
entropy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to entropy13 For This Useful Post:
Cold Storm (05-03-2012), H82LUZ73 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Cold Storm

Disliked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Cold Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy13 View Post
Junior Seau's death further saddens his 1994 Chargers teammates

Once again the phones started to ring, former San Diego Chargers from the franchise's lone Super Bowl team calling each other and digesting the news that another one of them was gone. With word that Junior Seau died Wednesday, the number of Chargers who played in the Super Bowl on Jan. 29, 1995, and are now dead, is eight.

Eight in 18 years; too many in too little time.

The subject is one I discussed, somewhat uncomfortably, with several of the former Chargers in 2008. This wasn't long after Chris Mims, their gregarious defensive end, was found dead in his Los Angeles apartment. Five had died back then. And that seemed like a lot.

I called a professor of actuarial science at the University of Wisconsin to see if she could put number on five men from a 53-man roster – all in their 20s and 30s – dying in so short a time. She said the odds were less than 1 percent.

In the resulting story that ran in The Washington Post, many former players and coaches talked about emotions that ranged from sadness for former players who were no longer there to a looming sense of unease about the uncontrollable.

"Is this a curse or something?" center Courtney Hall said then. "I just hope I'm not next."

On Wednesday, Hall sounded drained. Hours of phone calls with teammates had tired him. And there lingered that sense of confusion over how so many men who would be in their 40s, who seemed so vibrant, are no longer alive.

"I'm still kind of processing everything right now," Hall said. "I had more to say back [in 2008] than I do now. I really am at a loss for words."

The unsettling thing about the Chargers' deaths is their randomness. Five months after the Super Bowl, running back David Griggs died in a car accident on an off-ramp of the Florida Turnpike that was no more than 10 minutes from where the game had been played at Joe Robbie Stadium. The next year, running back Rodney Culver and his wife died on a ValuJet crash in the Florida Everglades, also not far from Miami. In 1998 linebacker Doug Miller was struck twice by lightning while camping in Colorado. Backup center Curtis Whitley died of a drug overdose in 2008 only months before Mims died from an enlarged heart and heart disease. Linebacker Lew Bush and defensive tackle Shawn Lee had fatal heart attacks last year.

And now Seau. The irony is that as a player he might have been the liveliest of them all – the first one to laugh, the one with the biggest smile, the biggest star – and to hear reports he had killed himself? It didn't make sense.

Full article here.

Wow, that's some crazy stuff..

I can't believe that he killed his self ether... I can't put my head around him doing that... Not like they said
Cold Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
H82LUZ73

Disliked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Storm View Post
Wow, that's some crazy stuff..

I can't believe that he killed his self ether... I can't put my head around him doing that... Not like they said
8 guys from one team..I smell mob hits or something,Seau i never ever thought of him as a depressive type.Also a gun is found near him if he shot himself why would it be 5 feet away and not in his hands......I watched him in the 95 Super Bowl Chargers- 49er`s game he was a great player it sadden me when he lost then and then to that fluke Giants in 08.....I smell a Black Sox scam coming for the NFL.Watch 8 men out....8 men in One team......
H82LUZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
yogurt_21

Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,411 Posts
Dislikes: 94
Disliked 38 Times in 30 Posts
its crazy that multiple of the 8 were suicide. While they are trying to put this off on concussions and the risks of playing in the nfl, the fact that that game was a blowout comes to my mind as something that could have added to it. Perhaps a coach in the team was paticularly blameful and claimed that they were worthless too?

Idk. its strange.
yogurt_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
twilyth

Thanked 6,107 Times in 3,530 Posts
Dislikes: 165
Disliked 128 Times in 111 Posts
Traumatic brain injury affects people in different ways - it's the same as encephalitis. Some people who have survived it have gross physical disabilities while other have "only" mental sequelae.
twilyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
DannibusX

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,253 Posts
Dislikes: 23
Disliked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H82LUZ73 View Post
8 guys from one team..I smell mob hits or something,Seau i never ever thought of him as a depressive type.Also a gun is found near him if he shot himself why would it be 5 feet away and not in his hands......I watched him in the 95 Super Bowl Chargers- 49er`s game he was a great player it sadden me when he lost then and then to that fluke Giants in 08.....I smell a Black Sox scam coming for the NFL.Watch 8 men out....8 men in One team......
I doubt it. Seau killed himself, and the reason why I say so is because he was on of the first NFL players to donate his brain to concussion research. He shot himself in the chest so his brain would be intact for the research.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannibusX For This Useful Post:
twilyth (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
yogurt_21

Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,411 Posts
Dislikes: 94
Disliked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannibusX View Post
I doubt it. Seau killed himself, and the reason why I say so is because he was on of the first NFL players to donate his brain to concussion research. He shot himself in the chest so his brain would be intact for the research.
actually that was Dave duerson, They have no idea why Seau shot himself.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-nfl-suicide/

Quote:
50-year-old former Chicago Bears player Dave Duerson (right) was found dead in his Florida home last year from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

Before his death, he texted his family asking for his brain to be used for research (hence why he shot himself in the chest). Months later, researcher neurologists at Boston University confirmed Duerson had suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions.

It's possible Junior Seau shot himself in the chest for the same reason.
they are speculating that seau did it for the same reasons but no one really knows.
yogurt_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yogurt_21 For This Useful Post:
m1dg3t (05-04-2012), twilyth (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
twilyth

Thanked 6,107 Times in 3,530 Posts
Dislikes: 165
Disliked 128 Times in 111 Posts
Makes sense. They're going to need more than one brain to dissect in order to get some idea of how repeated traumatic brain injury causes the sorts of disabilities typical of retired NFL players.
twilyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
m1dg3t

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,411 Posts
Disliked 92 Times in 77 Posts
So they sold their soul's for a championship and now the collector has come to collect.

On a slightly serious note; there is lot's of study now going into person's who played contact sport's as they are finding similar problem's among a wide group of persons. Something to do with black spot's in/on the brain

You can't fix stupid!
Book's: They're good for you.
Es ist der Sandmann! Wieder einschlafen.
Ignorant by choice, OR just plain fucking dumb?
E' meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cent'anni da pecora.
It's easier to be a genius than an idiot, genius is temporary idiocy is permanent.
I used to think people had something good to say, but then they started talking.
m1dg3t is offline   Reply With Quote