Go Back   General Nonsense Forums > General > From The News

Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Black Panther
Ninja Moderator™

Thanked 4,839 Times in 1,627 Posts
Dislikes: 16
Disliked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Jamie Oliver Campaign makes McDonald’s change recipe

Chef Jamie Oliver won a battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise announced it will change its recipe.

According to Oliver, the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption.

According to the chef and presenter, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry: “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver calls it “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” asked the chef, who wages a war against the fast food industry.

In one of his initiatives, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

The company, Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in the region. The same applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Even more disturbing is that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products.

In addition, the franchise denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

- See more at: http://documentarylovers.com/news/ja....dnwihO2I.dpuf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMailMan View Post
I have had a lot of sex over the years but I have never had an orgasm so good it went digital. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Black Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Black Panther For This Useful Post:
Brandenburg (07-20-2013), Chevalr1c (07-19-2013), FordGT90Concept (07-20-2013), hellrazor (07-19-2013), _JP_ (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
_JP_

Thanked 2,612 Times in 1,094 Posts
Dislikes: 87
Disliked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Nothin' like going to the butcher, get some meat, grind it and then cook your own burgers.
More effort/time spent, but so worth it.
I am more of a BK fan than McDonalds, anyway, even though I haven't ate fast-food in over a year.
_JP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _JP_ For This Useful Post:
Chevalr1c (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Black Panther
Ninja Moderator™

Thanked 4,839 Times in 1,627 Posts
Disliked 37 Times in 25 Posts
That's the way I do it too JP.
Very rarely we take the kid to McD's for a treat but after reading this ammonia stuff I'm quite put off. Sure it won't kill, but who knows what long-term effects there might be?

I also read on Oddee about it being the oldest food.
Something isn't quite right if after 14 years nothing ate that burger.. no worms ate the burger (ok perhaps it was kept sealed, I dunno...) but it didn't get discolored by bacterial decomposition, and not even a speckle of mould on the bun?

If nothing would eat it... should humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMailMan View Post
I have had a lot of sex over the years but I have never had an orgasm so good it went digital. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Black Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Panther For This Useful Post:
Chevalr1c (07-19-2013), FordGT90Concept (07-20-2013), razaron (07-20-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
yogurt_21

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,397 Posts
Dislikes: 89
Disliked 37 Times in 29 Posts
meh, there are worse ways to die. besides after nearly 3 decades of consumption it hasn't killed me yet, nor made me fat. I'm 6'2" and 175lbs.

granted I'm not an every meal McD's guy nor should anyone be. But really people like to make excuses for their own dumbshit behavior. "mcdonalds made me fat"
...right they told you to eat 15 burgers every meal...

"mcdonalds is bad for you" ...you really expect a quality product for 99cents? Try this out go to the store and buy the ingredients for 10 hamburgers, then make them , add in labor , franchise, and store fees and tell me if you can get anywhere near fucking 99 cents.
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
yogurt_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
Jaydenz

Thanked 1,287 Times in 838 Posts
Disliked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Pink slime process? Thats really gross!
Mom watches the butcher grind up the steaks when she gets hamburger. That way she knows they didnt put any filler stuff in it cuz we never eat hamburgers that have fillers. Any filler stuff should be on the hamburger not in it lol!
and thats just the condiments and veggies and cheese and stuff!
Yay real hamburgers!
Jaydenz is offline   Reply With Quote