1965 Ford F100

Discussion in 'Cars & Bikes' started by brandonwh64, Jan 23, 2013.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

*UPDATE 4/12/2014*

I have not had time to work on my truck in a good long while but I took all of saturday *well most* and had a goal in mind. I wanted to get the I beam out and atleast get it were only needed to finish removing the spring towers and the steering box. I also had a buddy of mine help me remove the bed and sit it were I can pound some of the dents out of the bed and prepare it for protective liner. All thats left for the front frame rails is to remove the cold welds and get whats left of the spring towers off and finish removing the crossmember so that I can clean up the frame for the panther suspension. I also inspected the cab bushings and they look to be old and dry rotted so they will be replaced as well. I also took my surfacing disc kit and cleaned up the back of the frame under the bed but I forgot to take a picture of it before I left. I am going to locate a empty fire extinguisher and make some frame notches so I can flip the rear end then once I have it cleaned up and prepped for paint I am going to do a couple of coats of black to the whole frame. I am searching CL, pull a part, and other sites to find a deal on a panther suspension for the truck since that is what it is going to take next to get this truck sitting on the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wile E

Wile E New Member

Panther is a great choice. Cheap and plentiful replacement parts.

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

*UPDATE 4/12/2014*

I have not had time to work on my truck in a good long while but I took all of saturday *well most* and had a goal in mind. I wanted to get the I beam out and atleast get it were only needed to finish removing the spring towers and the steering box. I also had a buddy of mine help me remove the bed and sit it were I can pound some of the dents out of the bed and prepare it for protective liner. All thats left for the front frame rails is to remove the cold welds and get whats left of the spring towers off and finish removing the crossmember so that I can clean up the frame for the panther suspension. I also inspected the cab bushings and they look to be old and dry rotted so they will be replaced as well. I also took my surfacing disc kit and cleaned up the back of the frame under the bed but I forgot to take a picture of it before I left. I am going to locate a empty fire extinguisher and make some frame notches so I can flip the rear end then once I have it cleaned up and prepped for paint I am going to do a couple of coats of black to the whole frame. I am searching CL, pull a part, and other sites to find a deal on a panther suspension for the truck since that is what it is going to take next to get this truck sitting on the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Darn

Darn New Member

Looks like a lot of progress on your truck. Love that style of truck. I'm starting a project that's pretty much the same. Its a 1965 F100 with the custom cab and style side short bed. I want to go in a different direction though. This was my dads first pick up truck. He wanted to restore it a original but due to health issues he wouldn't be able to drive it. I like the idea of the crown vic front suspension, But was considering a total frame swap keeping the crow motor and tranny. Don't know if this will make it easier for what I want. Lower truck, automatic, power steering, newer update drive train, a/c, better brakes, and better ride. Looking for some input on this.

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

There is a facebook page called "CrownVic subframe swap page" Ill link it below but it has people that have done the whole frame swap from a crown vic and it does not look easy. The front suspension though is very easy but getting the old out is the hardest. Another option is to just order drop spindles for the twin I beam and flip the rear and this would get you a nice drop but still same old stuff body rolling truck you had to start with and the drop spindle may make it worse. I have also seen people use dodge dakota front suspensions and that gives it the drivability with no drop. I will end up finishing the crown vic swap with a explorer rear axle so all lug patterns match then throwing the cab and bed back on and rat rod it out. I had hopes for a clean looking ride but after all my stuff got stolen out of the garage it was sitting at I have changed routes. Also this is why this thread has been put on hold til I can get some of my equipment back :(

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

Well guys its been a while since I got back into the project. Bad things happened and it halted my project (All my tools were stolen including my welder. My buddy that owned the building where it was at rented it out to a carpet company so I had to move the truck). I now have it moved to another buddy's garage and acquired a new frame for the project. My original plans were to put either a crown vic front end on my old frame or do a full crown vic frame swap but everytime a good deal on one of those cars would come up I would be broke lol. The frame I just got is from a 1975 El Camino and it the same wheel base as a crown vic and also the same style boxed frame design. It uses 4 link in the rear and independent front suspension. We took all afternoon with the help of some friends to remove the bed and cab from the old frame and roll the new one in and sit the cab on the new frame. I notched the back of the cab to go over the frame rails but after breaking all of our saws all blades I did not get to notch the cab supports so the cab is not sitting level yet. Going to get more blades today and start cutting those out and plating them. The front cab mounts are almost dead on the original body mounting holes so that is awesome! Engine choice has changed due to this frame being chevy so I am gonna sell my 351W and FMX trans for a 350 with TH350/400 or LS style engine. Here are some picture of the progress we have made just yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Member

Nice 65. any updates? /edit I just saw you had all your stuff stolen. That sucks dude.

I own a 65 F100 myself. Mine has a 73 F100 front end with front pwr brakes, power steering and factory AC, and a 72 Ford 460 w/ C6 trans.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    yogurt_21 likes this.
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

Yea we have had a few weekends to do more work. The Chevy 8.5 rear is having issues. The pinion gear is sliding about a 1/4 inch out of the housing and getting in a bind. We are gonna see how bad of shape that is and if it just need bearings we are going to replace those and reset the preload. We plated the front cab mounting holes along with lining and leveling the cab. I just got some 3 x 2 x 3/16 square steel tubing to make the back cab mounts to the frame. My buddy is going out of town so we will probably start this work on monday. I have (hopefully) lined an engine up for this new frame. Its a lower 2000's 5.3L LS style engine that will be mated to a TH350 and I am going to use the original drive shaft. In the near future I hope to order the wiring harness from EZ wiring. The bed will be next once the cab is done then on to the core support. Here is some pictures of it leveled and the frame plated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WhiteNoise and Jetster like this.
  9. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Member

It's good to see you are making progress. You have your work cut out for you!

brandonwh64 likes this.
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Member

Thanks WhiteNoise. My buddy has been out of town recently but we did get some time to work on the back cab support and have some of the pieces cut and drilled but found out our bolts were too short so I am gonna run by tractor supply and get some more nuts and washers for the all thread we have been using to make custome bolts out of.