Don't join the Marines...

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by Papahyooie, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

Hey everybody!

I know I haven't really posted here in a very long time. But I used to use this forum as a sanity check and a sort of therapy sometimes... I figured why not do so again.

Some of you guys who have been here for awhile may remember I joined the US Marines six years ago this month. I ended up being a reservist. I wanted active duty so bad, but I wanted to be infantry more, and around that time our infantry was entirely closed off to new recruits. They had too many infantry (if you can believe that.) They had one spot available for my entire recruiting district, and a buddy of mine that was in the delayed enlistment program with me got it. But they said I had the option to be a reservist infantryman. It was a good deal seemingly, because the unit I would join was supposed to have a combat deployment six months after I got back from training. I'd get my deployment in, and have a good chance of augmenting to active duty.

Here I am, six years later. My enlistment was up last weekend. I never did get on active duty, but I ended up getting a job at a tech company through a fellow Marine, and eventually got hired by the same company as a software QA. It's a great job, and I love what I do, so it worked out well.

Problem is, over two years ago I was hurt during a training exercise. Herniated lumbar disk, they told me. I'll never be able to do grunt shit again. Well, that sucks, but at least I'll get some good benefits I say. Medical chief says I have to take care of my own medical care in the mean time. So I get my own medical care. I frequently ask what is up with my medical package over the next few months. I'm told to wait. It takes six months for the medical board to kick in. So I wait. Seven months later, I'm asking what's up. I'm told that they never put me in as TNPQ (temporarily not physically qualified) they just put me on "light duty." So they'll have to actually start the package. So I wait some more. Can't do training. Just have to go to drill every month and sit there doing nothing, filing paperwork, whatever. Can't get promoted because I can't do a physical fitness test. After a while, the medical chief gets sent to another unit, and we get a new one. The new one is like "wtf was this other guy doing before me? everything is fucked up."

So I spent the last 9 months waiting on him to get shit together. He knows I'm out of time and that my contract is up. So 2 months ago, he finally says ok, we're going to have to start your medical board stuff, and you will have to stay in longer. I'm cool with that. Last month, I come in and he tells me he's going to get right on it, but can't do start it until I find the paperwork that my injuries happened while on duty, because it was conveniently lost... So I have to get a sworn statement from my platoon sergeant and the exact dates. It takes me a few days to find the exact date. I send them to him.

So I come into drill this month. Dig through my medical record and find the documents that say I was hurt on duty. He says that that is not good enough because it's just a statement from my corpsman (medic) and not a physician. The former medical chief was supposed to have sent me straight to the ER to get checked out. Instead, he told me to take some motrin and suck it the fuck up.

...what...?

So now, he wants me to sign paperwork saying that my injuries didn't happen on duty, because there is no "proof" that it happened on duty since it was so long ago. There could have been a different injury happen in the last two years that caused it.

So now, I'm looking at either accepting that and taking my chances that the VA will give me something for it, or a difficult, likely years-long legal battle full of hearings and congressional inquiries in order to get the medical retirement benefits I should rate.

I know... some dudes get their legs blown off. Some guys have PTSD. Some guys fucking die. Some guys have it alot worse than I do. Chronic back and nerve pain has nothing on not being able to piss on your own for the rest of your life. I get it.

They tell me it's my fault because I didn't make sure the previous medical chief did his job right. I'm a fucking Lance Corporal. That's E-3 for any army types. There is no way I should be expected to be able to tell an E-6 how to do his damn job.

I wouldn't even be really that worried about it, except my medical insurance is going to skyrocket when I get out, more than triple. If I was medically retired (as I should rate) then I'd be able to keep the military insurance. And the military has not paid a fucking DIME for an injury caused on duty for two years, and now they're telling me I get no benefits (besides the possibility of VA compensation, and I'm sure you all know or have heard how that goes....) I've paid a few thousand dollars out of pocket in the last two years.

I'm working with a veterans rights organization... but it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to help me.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm ready to just say fuck it. Leave it be. Cut your losses and go home, and grow a beard. I'm tired of fighting it. But another side of me just wants to make sure that that one last fuck you I get from the corps lands back in their laps, no matter what it takes.

Thanks for reading. Just needed to rant.

Oh, and don't join the Marine Corps.

2. HossHuge

HossHuge Well-Hung Member

This is why former soldiers lose their mind and start killing people.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

Contact your federal senators/district representative. If they're any good, you'll get what you need ASAP. Politicians generally bend over backwards for those that served.

I know some vets and they avoid the VA unless they have no choice.

I don't think it's necessarily the Marines that are the problem. It's the bureaucracy that has proliferated all of Washington, D.C. If you were in the Army, you'd likely get the same runaround.

dorsetknob and Papahyooie like this.
  4. sttubs

sttubs Member

Did you provide them with the ER report of your injury?

Papahyooie likes this.
  5. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

Not quite to that point yet lol...

Nah you're right. It's everybody, not just Marines. The Marines have just been my personal experience. I am considering doing the whole congressional petition and all that. I just don't know if I want to go through all that. I don't know... At this point I'm just done with all of this. I just want it to end. (the medical bullshit... don't take that to mean anything else lol... )

That's the problem... They didn't send me to the ER. I was just told to suck it up and keep going (which I did.) I didn't actually go to the doctor until later, and at my own expense. After that, I have had to submit medical documentation from a physician every month for the last two years. They have all the documentation in the world that I AM indeed injured... they just say that there isn't enough proof that I was injured on duty because I didn't see a physician that day.

Peter1986c likes this.
  6. FordGT90Concept

What state are you from? If one of your senators is on the Armed Services Committee, it'd probably get fixed fast. It doesn't cost you anything but time.

Papahyooie likes this.
  7. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

Lawyer up. My grandad fought the system and got full disability with far less proof than you have.

Peter1986c and Papahyooie like this.
  8. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

Arkansas, and actually it seems Tom Cotton is on that committee (which I didn't know, so thank you.)

9. FordGT90Concept

Send him a message explaining everything (try to keep it brief though) and his office may work with you to get what you need without going to court. ;)

Make sure to keep a copy of that to take to a lawyer if you do go that way. It should basically represent your side of the story.

Peter1986c likes this.
  10. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

Turns out I served with a guy, used to be a Marine sergeant, who is now Air Force JAG. A buddy of mine got his number, and I talked to him last night. He said his boss used to deal exclusively with cases like mine, so he is going to talk to his boss and see what can be done.