I need advice choosing between a my decent tech job and living with less stress

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by warup89, Oct 5, 2015.

1. warup89

warup89 New Member

..Been years since i been here, anyways, can you guys help?

Im in this dilemma and I don’t want to have any regrets. Right after the military I was offered a job in a tech support role which I took, later to find out that it was mainly for a proprietary software that its not giving me any real world experience at all and its 99% phone support which I despise. The pay is alright? 17ph/benefits/fulltime/20 days vac a yr./pay for college tuition/pay for Comptia certs/easy/good hours/yearly bonus, but very little room to grow and I got to take college on top of this next year.

I just don’t like this, everyday feels like a challenge going there and im so negative that I don’t bother socializing here, and its sucks because I moved to this area for this job and im away from friends and such. I love the tech field but this position in specific is stressing me.

I can quit and live off my scholarship (pays for college and housing) and just go to school full time for the next four years and just concentrate on my engineering degree while living with a friend and just not having many other worries and not be alone. But Ill be strapped on cash. Or tough it out and stay here and take advantage of all these job related benefits on top of my scholarship (=lot of extra money). So far I want to stay here long enough to get them to pay some certs for better employment later and quit.

TL;DR – keep job with good benefits and decent pay that I don't like on top of my scholarship (=$$$ + Stress) or use my scholarship and become a full time student with free housing (=$ + less stress).

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

If you can get those certs on their dime, I'd do it. Stick it out until you get the certs you want. As a full time student with those certs, you may be able to find a part-time position to get some more money as a student.

Even if the engineer thing doesn't pan out, those certs still leave the door open to an IT position and likely a better one than you hold now.

remixedcat likes this.
  3. warup89

warup89 New Member

Thank you very much, I was coming down to that option as Ive been offered other better paying jobs but not having such certs disqualified me. Most definitely I will try to get the main certs that I need and then of course get me a less demanding job while I go to school.

This seems to be the best logical answer so far. I just dont want to wait too long in order to start school.

4. cdawall

cdawall Active Member

A+, N+ take your CCNA and bail the fuck out lol

remixedcat likes this.
  5. warup89

warup89 New Member

It seems to be going that way, Im already working on my N+ and thinking between Sec+ and A+ since I already have some years of support under my belt and I want to head to the Sys admin route.

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

Security is going to see a boom over the next several decades as cybercrime continues to climb and become more visible. Businesses are going to need employees dedicated to actively fighting it.

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude <a title="Hi, I am an attention whore">Senior Memb

more money may not be needed right now but believe or not it you wont regret later.
    but yes get certifications first on your own dime if needed.

end of the day.. plan ahead for the future.

8. cdawall

cdawall Active Member

Could always throw DBA in there as well. I mean if the end goal is some kind of admin job.

9. Gramps

Gramps New Member

I think you should find a part time job because stress is really not healthy.

10. remixedcat

remixedcat Skooma Addicted Admin! Staff Member

This