Losing interest in PC Games, Am I getting Old?

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by toastem2004, Mar 9, 2017.

?

Is this normal for getting older?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, your growing up... and about time!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Naw man, you're just having an off time right now

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Pizza or tacos, what to have for dinner?

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. toastem2004

toastem2004 New Member

I was wondering if what I'm experiencing is a normal evolution as I'm getting older. I rarely game anymore due to various other things taking up my time outside of work. And when I do manage to, I find myself gravitating toward more casual types, or loading up my backlog of older titles (circa 2004-2012). While I love my kid, and my new girlfriend; those two women sure take up my free time and money. I'm also going back to school this summer to become a teacher. I've grown tired of retail and customer support, and I burned out with IT and computer repair years ago. I want an actual career and to do something meaningful, something I can feel accomplished about.

I love computers, and tech in general. But I find that I'm not getting the same kicks and thrill out of it that i used to. In fact, I have recently begun dabbling in woodworking. Just recently completed a full size bed frame and headboard for my daughter. I plan on adding drawers to it this summer.

Is this a natural response to my getting older, and hopefully more mature? Anyone else experience something similar?

2. jmcslob

jmcslob Well-Known Member

Yes...

toastem2004 likes this.
  3. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

I went through something similar. I am recently getting back into gaming. I think one of the biggest things is the lack of quality titles. I am playing through some of the PS4 titles right now and I really enjoy them. It gets old buying 1/3 of the game and having to get the rest through DLC.

4. xkm1948

xkm1948 New Member

I feel ya. I am getting to the point of play more Minesweep than any actual games. I find myself rather run for 10 miles instead of sitting in front of a monitor again.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

For me, it comes and goes. Sometimes I like to replay old goodies. Sometimes I want to play something new. Sometimes I don't want to play anything. I've had a few days where all I felt like was Solitaire and Mahjong too.

Right now, I have at least two new games to play but I feel more like coding up a storm/solving a puzzle. Until I finish that, I probably won't start those games.

yogurt_21 and toastem2004 like this.
  6. Steevo

Steevo Well-Known Member

Its getting to be busy in my life again with a woman, kids, family, work, and much else, and when I think about the time I would spend playing a video game I think about all the other things I want to do and usually end up doing them. But if you make time and actually do it, you will find that joy again, and yes, you should play some older titles as many new games are just reboots and utter shit.