My right to death with dignity at 29

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by FordGT90Concept, Oct 7, 2014.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

[CNN] My right to death with dignity at 29

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/07/opinion/maynard-assisted-suicide-cancer-dignity/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Terminal brain cancer. Only 5 states have a "death with dignity" law that allows a doctor to prescribe a lethal prescription so the patient can commit suicide on their own terms when they feel their time has come.

This is a lot like the medical marijuana debate where government is standing in the way of people getting what they feel they need.

See also: Jack Kevorkian (aka Doctor Death)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. mellowsause

mellowsause Well-Known Member

can u travel to those 5 states and die there?

3. FordGT90Concept

Nope.
    It is deliberately expensive and difficult.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

He doesn't at least have a friend with a 9mm he can borrow?

Thanks gun-control advocates...

5. FordGT90Concept

It's a woman.

Are you volunteering to clean up the mess?

6. mtosev

mtosev Well-Known Member

she should just take a trip to Switzerland and die there.
    google: suicide tourism switzerland

7. FordGT90Concept

She doesn't need to die right now and by the time she does, she wouldn't be in good enough condition to fly half way around the world.

This is the "land of the free," the right to self-determined death should be afforded to all people.

8. HossHuge

HossHuge Well-Hung Member

Who pays for these, government, insurance or the patient?

9. FordGT90Concept

Dunno if insurance covers it. They probably don't so she is likely paying out of pocket for it (I suspect the drug is under $100, if not under $10). It's cheaper to move to another state than pay for months of chemo that result in the same outcome. She is saving a ton of money.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  10. Steevo

Steevo Well-Known Member

What happened to drug control, he might be drug addled and a dick for what you said in the other thread, and if he kills himself on opiates it gets dinged as a suicide from accidental OD.

Fuck drug laws entirely, the government has no right to tell anyone what they should put in their body unless it actively takes away someone else rights.

11. FordGT90Concept

1) "He" is a she.

2) The prescription is for death because death is already imminent.

3) She is fully aware that the prescription she has been prescribed is explicitly to expedite her passing. There is no "accidental" anything unless someone else takes it. In which case, she could likely be found liable in not safeguarding those drugs from unintended users.

4) The drugs prescribed likely do not cause side effects like opiates (euphoria, addiction, tolerance, etc.) so there is no making a mistake in terms of taking too much. The intended effect is death after all.

5) Assisted suicide, "death with dignity" or whatever it is called needs to be legalized across the nation so opiates aren't used as a means to commit suicide. They are prescribed for pain control and pain control alone. It needs to stay that way.

6a) We have drug laws for a very good reason. When doctors prescribe something they need to know that the patient is getting exactly what was ordered. This is fundamentally why the FDA exists. Case in point: when a doctor prescribed this suicide medication to this lady, the doctor needed to be sure it will do the job and do it in a humane manner. The FDA assures that will be the case within a very specific margin of error.

6b) I agree that some drug laws (like pretty much the entire existence of the DEA) should be abolished. They create problems (ridiculously high incarceration rates, massive government expenditures, creates unregulated supply for drugs, etc.) and solve nothing.

6c) I think the FDA needs to reevaluate how they handle supplements (too many fraudsters out there peddling cures for everything, claiming "clinical trials prove it," and in most cases it's just a fiber supplement with some exotic plant extracts that do nothing).

12. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

No. But I am volunteering to use dark humor to illustrate the ridiculousness of this situation. You want to die? That's the one right nobody can take away from you. It's the one law of nature that allows us all to say fuck you to whatever situation we might be involved in, government tyranny included. It's the ultimate freedom. If you want to die, and you have the balls to do so, then you are going to damn well die if you please. You'll find a way.

So what this person has done is take her most basic right, the right to life (and by proxy, the right to death) and handed it over to the United States government. And then she complains that the laws make it too restrictive.

Regardless, she has a natural right to die. But not a natural right to a vial of medicine.

However, it was interesting to read, as I was still under the impression that euthanasia was illegal everywhere in the US. Prescribing a lethal dose of medication sounds like the same thing to me.

13. mtosev

mtosev Well-Known Member

weird for her that she isn't creative enough to find a solution for this problem.
    I mean she can commit suicide with CO2 poisoning, when I was at the Golden Gate bridge in SF I saw a big sigh with a suicide hotline as lots of ppl commit suicide by jumping off the bridge. 15-20s and you're gone.

14. FordGT90Concept

Only doctors inside of these five states can prescribe intentionally lethal prescriptions. You're telling me that the other 45 states have more rights than the five states? You've got it backwards, mister. The law in all states is that a doctor must preserve life. The only exception to that rule is in these five states that lets the patient petition for, and receive a prescription for death. That's a brand, spankin' new right not even enumerated in the Constitution nor mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.

It's not euthanasia because in order to meet the criteria, the patient has to be of sound mind. Euthanasia is the government/doctor making the decision for the patient to terminate. The patient is making the decision in advance.

What if someone finds her and saves her? What if she is unable to make the hundreds of miles journey to the Golden Gate bridge? Her objective is to die peacefully on her own terms. What is wrong with that?

15. mtosev

mtosev Well-Known Member

there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to die peacefully.
    but most countries in the world don't allow this. now complaining on the internet/TV how the government doesn't allow assisted suicide won't help much as they for sure won't make an exception to this just for her.

if she can't get to the GG bridge she can always commit suicide with CO2 poisoning. this doesn't require much as everything one needs is a car and garage.

and BTW lots of ppl have jumped off the bridge so there is little chance that someone would stop her. some american filmmaker committed suicide this way just this summer.

16. FordGT90Concept

Therein lies the problem which is why she wrote the op-ed. She's bringing awareness to people like her that there are states that allow it and there's no reason more states shouldn't.

None of the article came across me as "complaining."

17. FordGT90Concept

Here is an opinion piece by a doctor responding to the article in the OP:
    When assisted suicide is not the answer

18. mtosev

mtosev Well-Known Member

I actually didn't click on the article as I was lazy to read the whole thing and I based my comments only on what u posted in the first post.

as most ppl just start complaining about stuff and how stuff is unfair to them,...etc so I assumed that she was complaining about stuff as most ppl do that kind of stuff.

you're right if the was raising awareness about this she absolutely has the right to do this.

19. FordGT90Concept

I'm sure she would have preferred to stay in her home state of California to get the prescription but she had the means to move to Oregon and still get it. She was speaking mostly to people like her that don't have the financial means/ability to move.

20. Papahyooie

Papahyooie Active Member

I'm not talking about the constitution or any other man-made enumeration of rights. I'm talking about natural rights. Granted, the constitution was based in such natural rights, but there are others that are not enumerated. It isn't a brand spankin new right. It's a right as old a life itself.

A person has a right to die. That is unquestionable. But nobody has a "right" to any sort of chemical. A chemical that allows you to die peacefully is a luxury, not a right. Rights are things that are defined by nature and inalienable.

"Rights under the law" as you are describing, are a different thing entirely, and something I think is a misnomer to begin with. A government doesn't give you rights. Nature gives you rights. All a government can do is take them away.