Post 2016 US election fallout

Discussion in 'Politics, Drugs & Firearms' started by FordGT90Concept, Nov 22, 2016.

1. yogurt_21

yogurt_21 Well-Known Member

he banned visas from Iraq for 6 months. As well as added the 7 countries in questions to the list of places you could not have visited to apply for an expedited visa waiver.

ie he said not just citizens but anyone who has recently gone there were not allowed a visa without going through the long visa process.

In effect Trumps plan is narrower in scope but more biting.

Obama's plan affected far more people but it didn't have any real teeth to it.

also Obama did not announce the plan and merely enforced it. Trump announced it.

FordGT90Concept and mtosev like this.
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, people don't have a right to enter the US. Aside from citizens that is.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    yogurt_21 and FordGT90Concept like this.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

That's the case with any country. USA has let immigration policy lapse since, I believe, the Carter administration. Every time it came up since, Congress bent over backwards again for the illegals. One of the reasons why Trump won is because middle America has had enough of it. Middle America is predominantly where these illegals live and work. High society (aka the ruling population of the Democratic and Republican parties) only see these people when they start talking about changing immigration policy. Which is ironic, because they're not citizens and therefore, have no say in the government process. If Trump doesn't get the borders secured, there's going to be a big push for someone even more authoritarian in the future.

4. FordGT90Concept

This is very bad:
    Mexico ready to retaliate by hurting American corn farmers

Corn is zero-profit already (any money made goes towards debt to produce it, especially land rent). If Mexico stops buying and Trump doesn't find a different way to use the surplus (e.g. sell to China, increase the renewable fuel standard, pay to send it to Africa, etc.), thousands of farms will go bankrupt.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. yogurt_21

there are other markets for it, the timing just isn't that great, not with HFCS being so heavily scrutinized by the public perception, lowering overall demand.

I'm not sure how much Mexico was paying per bushel but it seems feed would be the first stop for said corn overflow.

6. FordGT90Concept

HFCS is a small percentage of the amount of corn produced annually.
    [​IMG]

The article says that, in 2015, Mexico bought $2.3 billion USD worth of corn.

Demand needs to go up by a lot for farmers to see a profit. If it goes down at all, there's going to be problems. 2016 was a bad year for most farmers; break even for those that did well. Pretty much all agriculture commodity prices are down.

Edit: It’s Time to Rethink America’s Corn System

7. yogurt_21

well damn, clearly we aren't making enough moonshine.

edit: also since our total export is only 8.4% in 2013...that's the max impact, which is only slightly above that of HFCS.

overall I'd prefer more went into feed...the grass fed beef taste is no where near the corn fed.

8. FordGT90Concept

30.8% of corn goes to moonshine. The problem is your car drinks it and not you. :(

[​IMG]
    Mexico isn't the biggest importer of US corn but every little bit counts. That said, if China starts buying ships full of corn, Mexico can shove it.

Corn fed is not economical though. Corn costs a helluvalot more than grass.

Peter1986c and yogurt_21 like this.
  9. DannibusX

If a market isn't sustainable then it will correct itself.

Mexico is sabre rattling. What happens if they don't buy the corn from us? Where are they going to get it?

10. Peter1986c

Peter1986c Artist formerly known as Chevalr1c

On their own farms or so, I guess. México primero!

yogurt_21 likes this.
  11. FordGT90Concept

Brazil and Argentina, they say, but I don't know how their product and prices compare to USA's.

Really the only thing that stopped the Great Recession from turning into a Great Depression is that agriculture was steady throughout. If the legs fallout from under agriculture, I think the recession will be back in full swing. If you look at the agriculture system, there's a lot of weaknesses in it from over valued land, over production of some commodities, only four meat packers left and they fix prices, and the debt load the industry carries is enormous (always on the brink of banks seizing assets).

Mexico is a small part of a pretty big pie. I don't know if that move alone is enough to knock US agriculture over.

Mexico's climate isn't conducive to producing corn.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Peter1986c likes this.
  12. yogurt_21

pretty sure corn CAME FROM mexico. ie the mayans. So they would really have to try hard to not be able to grow it. My guess is all that fertile farm land the mayans used is now housing and industrial. Hence their issue. All the free areas are desert like and while that's great for agave, sweet, sweet agave...it's not so good for corn

Peter1986c likes this.
  13. FordGT90Concept

Maize, not corn. Corn is a water-hungry mothertrucker. Mexico doesn't have enough water to satisfy it. Maize, on the other hand, doesn't take much. Speaking of which, isn't there a "Mexican corn?" Usually white kernels? So I think they do grow their own variety of corn but to make tortillas and the like, they have no problem using cheap imported corn.

14. HossHuge

HossHuge Well-Hung Member

Stay off the dizzy spinach Ford.

[​IMG]

Peter1986c likes this.
  15. FordGT90Concept

This guy explains it better than I can:
    http://www.jamesandthegiantcorn.com/2009/11/24/corn-vs-maize/

I live in Iowa (#1 producer of dent corn and sweet corn in the world) and the word "maize" is rare. When someone says maize, I assume pod corn (wild maize) or flint corn (much more conducive to dry environments like Mexico).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017 at 2:07 PM
  16. yogurt_21

1. You have to remember nothern mexico is a barren desert, meanwhile southern mexico is a tropical wonderland. So water they have, just in the south.

2. The mayans cultivated a far more wheat like corn grain and used it for similar purposes. It was many generations of breeding that resulted in the plump kernels we're used to today.

3. There is nothing about mexico's southern climate that stops it from being able to cultivate plump kernel corn.

4. there is nothing save for california's massive river guzzling stopping mexico from cultivating it in the north. If the colorado river was distributed correctly mexico would be able to grow more corn in baja than it imports from the US.

so this is a problem mexico could solve without import, they might just be taking the easy way since ours was available and cheap.

The same applies to US corn growers. It's easier to sell it to mexico than to find another unsaturated market for it.

Peter1986c likes this.
  17. jmcslob

jmcslob Well-Known Member

FordGT90Concept and Peter1986c like this.
  18. FordGT90Concept

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM
  19. DannibusX

Uhhh it was one of his primary campaign promises.

FordGT90Concept likes this.
  20. FordGT90Concept

Shows how much I paid attention. :roll:

Now that you mention, I remember the media having a party over how much Trump's tax plan would add to the deficit.