Project Thunderturd.

Discussion in 'Cars & Bikes' started by JC316, Sep 27, 2016.

1. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

Been kicking around this idea ever since I had my super coupe. I am finally putting it into action. The idea here is to get a 12 second thunderbird for under $2500. Also going to change the color, haven't decided on it yet. Sitting on two corvette colors, millennium yellow and bright aqua metallic. Time to meet the cast.

1997 Ford thunderbird LX. Purchase price of $400. 4.6L 2V runs good, but the trans is missing all forward gears. It's a perfect canvas for my plan.

[​IMG]

The donor car. 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. Purchase price of $500. This thing is clapped out beyond words, body damage, paint damage, fucked interior. Has some serious upside though, in addition to a good running B headed motor, it has the aluminum rear pumpkin, one piece driveshaft, and a nice brake kit on it. Was going to use the transmisison, but reverse died on the way home from austin, just my damned luck.

[​IMG]

So the plan here is to go through the DOHC motor, hone, new rings and bearings, window switch for the IMRC's. Maybe Cobra cams and intake if I can find them cheap enough. Going with a nice stall converter in the transmission, haven't decided on stall yet, probably a 3000. I would like to put LT headers in, but that is a pipe dream on this chassis. Then I am going to put this bastard on a diet, the DOHC will save some weight, as will the pumpkin and driveshaft. Will look at other weight loss options as I go. I will see where that gets me, and if I have to, I will spray my way to that 12 second pass.

I do have a second plan, which involves a TR3650 out of an S197, but I still haven't decided. Going to sell/crush as many parts as I can to recoup money. I have to keep it pretty cheap in case I ever decide to sell it, not much market for an MN12 thunderbird.

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21 Well-Known Member

2 cars no tranny and 2 engines... off to a good start lol though I think you meant to come out with 1 of each. Still should be interesting.

3. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

It had a transmission when I left Austin, it didn't when I hit Hillsboro, about 150 miles away, just bad luck. Going to try and rebuild it myself, so I count it as continuing education. I should mention, the 4.6L 2V that's in the thunderbird is rated at about 205HP, the 4.6 4V engine in the Mark VIII is underrated at 280HP, by the time I get a decent exhaust system on it, more like 310HP. Not to mention it's all aluminum, so it shaves 75LBS off from the 2V engine.

Basically I am losing weight and gaining 100HP for $500, that's a HUGE bang for the buck. Not to mention it has the brake kit and aluminum driveshaft, which saves about 25lbs of rotational weight, which is massive.

Thus far, I have removed the engine/transmission/driveshaft/rear differential from the Mark, just got to get the suspension off from it and it's ready for the crusher.

yogurt_21 likes this.
  4. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

You want to get 12 sec from 310HP? I think that car will be too heavy for that.

5. yogurt_21

^ that's just the start. The fun part of going after old beaters is they can have things like blowers or turbos that work but the engine is shot. So you can basically pay them to take it away for a few hundred and come up with a 1000-3000$ worth of parts out of it. Plus a NOS bottle is cheap as hell.

Peter1986c and Bundy like this.
  6. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

That's just with exhaust. A Mark VIII with a stall, gears, driveshaft, catback and 50 shot went 13.7@108. He was spinning badly, but that 108 trap speed is more than enough to hit 12's. Gears and a stall are pretty much redundant since they do the same thing. That said, I tend to agree. Without the spray, I am thinking that I will be in the 13.3-13.4 range.

Bingo.

Peter1986c and Bundy like this.
  7. Peter1986c

Peter1986c Artist formerly known as Chevalr1c

Give it e-assist. :p

JK of course.

8. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

Whats left of the poor Mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yogurt_21 likes this.
  9. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

Whoever said that Mark VIII's were porkers clearly never stripped one down. No engine, no trans, no rear subframe, no struts, no driveshaft, no wheels, no fuel system, full interior, full glass = 2100lbs at the crusher. Pull the interior and glass out of that thing and it's probably at 1600lbs, do a solid axle conversion, tubular K member and an LS1. Could be a bad mofo.

yogurt_21 likes this.
  10. surfblaster

surfblaster New Member

Any update on this build?

11. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

Scrapped when I got my Impala SS. Decided to put the money into a car that actually had resale value.

12. yogurt_21

lol what's the fun in that? my 97 explorer is worth less than 500$... doesn't stop me from having fun in it lol.

13. JC316

JC316 Local Mechanic

It was a very complex situation. I had an 00 Trans am convertible, a 94 K2500 diesel truck, the thunderbird, and I bought an 04 Dodge ram hemi from auction. My plan was to keep the Ram, sell the Trans am and the K2500, and build the T-bird. That way my daily and my truck were going to be the same, and I would still have the T-bird as a fast car. Then a guy came along and threw a monkey wrench into my plans, he wanted a Trans am, and had a 94 Impala SS, which I have been after for years. We got together and I traded the TA for the Impala SS. The SS needed some things, so I scrapped the T-bird in order to fix it up, plus I got every dime out of the T-bird build, which is rare.

14. yogurt_21

can certainly put more bodies in the trunk and has more room for your gangsta bros. Not bad.

Lines on the 94 Impala are much better than the thunderbird, like throwing a pearl paint job on it looks sweet as F. So I can get all of that and the fact that you zeroed out the debt meter on the t-bird project.

I still like a big engined beater that takes all the punishment and keeps going. Looks like 5$, drives like a million bucks type of thing.

But if you're taking your girl out, a smooth line 94 impala with a sweet paint job, fancy rims, and a highend air intake is the way to go for sure.

15. surfblaster

surfblaster New Member

Oh I see. That's a wise decision.