Seeing weird things in my eye.

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by de.das.dude, Oct 2, 2015.

1. m4gicfour

m4gicfour Well-Known Member

[CITATION NEEDED]

It's nice of you to revive the thread in order to post info that's in direct contradiction to the information available on wikipedia with no sources. Granted, wikipedia isn't always the most reliable, it's certainly more reliable than random uncited internet opinion.

DDD self-diagnosed as what he was seeing being a firefly aura (which is, contrary to what you've said, neurological and NOT a physical symptom - as opposed to floaters which ARE a physical symptom) which, being a type of aura, is a a neurological condition related to migraines, seizure, and stroke.

[quote source]
    Emphasis added.

The specific subtype, firefly aura:

Cerebral infarction is a stroke resulting from blockages in the blood vessels in the brain. So it's saying that they've been described in cases where the aura was persistent, but without [this specific type] of stroke involved.

On the other hand, Floaters are a physical symptom caused by deposits released on the inside of your eye into the vitreous humor (the clear gel that fills your eye).
    It's not actually blood vessels in this case, but either foreign bodies that have entered the eye, or bits of the eye and vitreous humor itself that have been released most commonly as a result of degradation with aging, or eye damage.

So I don't know what you were actually describing, but it's neither of the medical conditions referred to as firefly aura or floaters. I'll grant, however, that DDD probably doesn't know what he's talking about either and is experiencing nothing resembling what he claims, as usual.

2. theJesus

theJesus I admin in the nude Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. m4gicfour

Why yes, yes I do. Thanks for noticing.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Member

@m4gicfour
    Because I've experienced fireflies before. And they ONLY occured under incredibly specific lighting conditions. A cool white LED strip under very specific angle that I worked with at work.

It only happened once more during summer in my office with super bright white sun.

I've done some research and that was explanation. I've also experienced very rare type of migrains that aren't physical unlike these fireflies. I can't remember the name exactly, but it looks like an expanding black hole in your field of vision until it disappears and you get a massive headache. That one is neurological. Fireflies aren't. the fact alone that fireflies happen with specific lighting conditions tells you it's physical and happening within the eye and not neurological, happening within your nervous system or brain.
    But hey, what do I know apart from experiencing shit myself and then learning about it...

5. m4gicfour

I think I'm done being a pedant for the week after this post (u)
    *sigh*

I wondered about it before, but now I'm certain. We're talking about two seperate things. Did you come up with that name as something official from your research (in which case, BOO medical community; be more specific when you name things), or did you see what he described and match some or all of the symptoms to something you'd experienced, and take the name of this other totally separate condition we'd been talking about? That second thing there is the exact reason why doctors tell you not to self-diagnose, and why I've repeatedly said that speculation is more or less pointless, and DDD should see a doctor if he can to find out.

What DDD self-diagnosed as having (though he gave no decription of what circumstances he experienced these symptoms under so I'd be pretty cautious about making any kind of statement with any certainty even as far as pointless internet speculation goes), and we had been talking about in the thread are firefly auras which are entirely neurological. It's just another subtype of auras, which are perceptual disturbances commonly associated with migraines, seizure, stroke, and other nerological events, but apparently this subtype (firefly type) is also experienced by those without any accompanying neurological event. The firefly-type aura is still neurological in nature; having to do with activity in the visual cortex.

What you described is obviously a physical phenomenon, and obviously not the same thing we'd been talking about, which is why specificity is important. Heck, even if what you described is officially named "fireflies" by the medical community and written as such in every piece of text about it, if you had linked a single piece of info I would have known as much instantly.

That visual disturbance before a migraine is another type of aura, which you would know if you had read anything I linked in any of my previous posts. Take your pick.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(symptom)
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...th-aura/multimedia/migraine-aura/vid-20084707
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/migraines-headaches/guide/what-is-a-migraine-with-aura

Seriously, specificity is important. I specified firefly aura every time I made a post for a reason. It's incredibly common that a syndrome (I.E. a collection of symptoms) can have multiple, completely different causes

(slap)

Clearly not how to read the entire thread, to be specific in your statements, or to back up anything you say with evidence. I don't know if you were offended by what I said, or I'm just reading that into it (in which case I'm sorry, it's hard to tell with text) but getting curt and snippy does nothing to help anybody, least of all DDD. I'm also aware that I probably come off as being upset when I break down a post like that, but I'm not, and it's not my intent. I just... I'm a pedant. I like correctness for its own sake. Especially when it has the possibility of affecting someone's health.

6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude <a title="Hi, I am an attention whore">Senior Memb

/thread