UK snap election

Discussion in 'From The News' started by alucasa, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:57 PM.

1. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/theresa-may-uk-general-election-8-june

UK prime minister, Theresa May, called for a snap election which comes to surprise many since she vowed not to call it.

But she has a strong lead in polls and the election will help her to push hard-brexit which she wants.

This snap election is extremely bad news for Labor. They are posed to lose more than 10+ seats.

The media is crying foul on this one and is calling Mrs. May a liar. lolz, calling a politician a lair. All politicians lie. I don't blame them for lying. You can't get anything done with honesty & decency.

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21 Well-Known Member

not gonna lie, I don't understand any of this... is a snap election just and early election but you brits have to call it snap because...it's snappy?
    when was the normal election supposed to happen and why can it be changed by the PM?
    why would Labor lose 10 seats? Were they planning on doing late campaigning? or perhaps they were hoping the voter block would have massive dies outs in their favor by the time the election was supposed to come about?
    How does this benefit Theresa May? And if it does why is there the ability of the PM to swing elections in their favor by changing the dates?

Rather perplexing.

3. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

When a UK prime minister finds that she/he cannot work with the house due to too much opposition, PM disbands parliament (House of commons = US house | House of lords = senate) and calls for a fresh election.
    In a sense, this is better because UK won't stall on agenda unlike US which has been stalling ever since Obama lost the house.

If she didn't call for it, the normal election would have happened in 2020.

Right now, UK is a right-leaning nation. The conservative party has a weak majority in commons and no majority in lords. The labor party has been tailing right behind the conserative party.

Basically, the conserative is Republicans in US. The labour is Democrats in US.
    The labour has been having lots of issues on and off field. Party members infighting and its leader refusing to resign when he should have... Well, let's say their loss is their own doing.

Anyway, by calling for the election, should her party win, Mrs. May will gain mandate to push her own agenda. She is expected to win by a landslide because of labour's infighting. There is another reason she may want from an election. She didn't win the seat of PM. She inherited the seat due to the former PM David Cameron's failure on preventing Brexit. So, she does have a valid reason for an election.

Now, media in UK is left-leaning which is why they generally dislike whatever Mrs. May does.

4. HossHuge

HossHuge Well-Hung Member

Who are you cheering for @alucase?

5. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

I cheer at chaos. I am neither left nor right.

6. HossHuge

HossHuge Well-Hung Member

What part of Canada are ya from? I'm in EDM.

7. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

I live in outskirts of Geater Toronto area. I used to live in Toronto but chose to cash in and gamble with real estates. Besides, Toronto isn't what it used to be.

8. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

Just take a look at this image. Polls can be and has been wrong numerous times but the lead is simply too large for any margin of error.

Labour is screwed. Corbyn is the leader of Labour (bottom right). He has issues. He can't let go of powers.

3F5D340800000578-4423074-image-m-2_1492554988828.jpg

9. dorsetknob

dorsetknob New Member

going to be interesting couple of months
    Backstabbing knives are being sharpened along with tongues ( for those Virtrolic sharp witted comments)
    BBC is Gearing up the Left lets Stay in Europe Campaign propaganda instead of trying to remain Neutral.

10. alucasa

alucasa Active Member

I reckon the 20 points lead will shrink to a single digit by time people get to vote.

I think the only loser will be Labour. It's the worst time for them. Maybe when they lose dozens of seats, Corbyn might resign. I say "might" because he might not.

Most media outlets lean left. It's not hard to understand why though. Liberalism is the heart and soul of journalism. But the level of blatant bias seen from today's media makes me feel like there is no more real journalism.