What kind of aftershave, and why

Discussion in 'Health & Life Counseling' started by btarunr, Aug 16, 2015.

?

Wut aftershave

1. Liquid, volatile liquid you manually dab on your face

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Balm, semi-solid

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Atomizer, spray, made of volatile liquid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept Well-Known Member

I don't use any after shave because when my facial hair gets too long, I take a Wahl Peanut to it. If I shaved any closer than that on a regular basis, I would need to because my skin is pretty sensitive.

2. Peter1986c

Peter1986c Artist formerly known as Chevalr1c

I thought you were female for some reason.

I do not always shave. If I do, I use an electric shaver and some water afterwards.

3. mellowsause

mellowsause Well-Known Member

thats why i wash my face with soap 2-3 times a day and take shower every day.
    but my skin actually becomes very dry in the winter... so dry that i have to use moisturizer

4. theJesus

theJesus I admin in the nude Staff Member

I don't shower every day, but I do wash my face at least once a day; twice if time/energy permits. If I don't have time/energy for a full wash, I at least do a quick rinse. Lately, I've also been following up with some other skincare products, like toner and an anti-acne cream (both of which would dry out most people's skin if used as generously as I do; you're actually supposed to use lotion in the morning and then this stuff at night, but I just use this stuff morning and night because the lotion makes me look like a fucking pepporoni pizza).

Still doesn't help with the oil, but my skin is as clear as it's been in a very long time and it is staying that way consistently.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. Steevo

Steevo Well-Known Member

I have to use the alcohol based burns with fire oh god oh god I hate shaving kind.

Or else I get bumps and the occasional infected follicle. I have never tried a alum bar though, and a friend swears by his.

I shower every day unless I have either done nothing, or am exhausted. As well, a gentle face rinse with warm water, or the soapy water from my hands when I wash them makes sure I don't get any pimples and keep my skin looking nice.

6. btarunr

btarunr wiggle wiggle wiggle Staff Member

Folliculitis, bingo, that's exactly my problem when I don't use aftershave.

Bear in mind that the water I get in the bathroom, while clean, is unfit for drinking. It has a much higher microbial load than the drinking water supply (a separate line). Drinking and "domestic" water supplies have separate lines and prices. After rinsing my teeth with that water, I rinse it with Listerine at the very last (and hold off any eating/drinking for 20 minutes).

7. zithe

zithe Active Member

I shave maybe twice a week. No aftershave. Just shaving cream, water, standard lotion.

8. mellowsause

I am a female, but i also have a lot of facial hair... its a medical condition.

9. Peter1986c

Peter1986c Artist formerly known as Chevalr1c

Sorry for the asking. I hope it does not affect you too much.

10. mellowsause

haha, i'm joking, i'm a dude... :)
    when i had arguments with SK-1, he always said that i live in a basement, so i wanted to see how his argument changes when he is talking to a girl... "menopause"... so, not much. lol

11. Earthican

Earthican Active Member

Don't use aftershave as a sub for proper after shave balm. If you just use an electric razor for quickness you might get away with nothing. Don't use gel or crappy foam in a tin either, use good shaving cream or shaving soap. Alum Blocks are actually pretty good for stopping cuts and face burn after a shave. Sometimes they come like a pencil or usually like an big bar.

I haven't shaved in a few years as i just maintain a crapola beard with a trimmer, but one of my friends got into using DE Razors and said it's good. A 3 pass doesn't take longer than using a cartridge.